Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Review of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

So, I watched it today and have to rant a little.

I liked the opening, before the first scene, with Bellatrix shouts/moans "I killed Sirius Black!" Don't know why, it just sort of spoke to me. Then it went a bit downhill, in the cafeteria with that girl. I can see Dan wanting to pick up a girl, but not Harry and they have ruined the characters in the movies if you ask me. Not only Harry, everyone actually. Then Dumbledore just leaves Harry in the swamp outside the Burrow, which I find sad, I wanted them to have a talk in the broomshed! 

When it comes to the Burrow in general I'm fairly pleased, loved the scene where everyone's peeking out from various places on the stairs, even if they have changed the entire house from earlier movies. Julia Walters does a great job as Molly, Rupert is hilarious as Ron and Bonnie pulls through as Ginnny. However, Emma Watson got about as much resemblance to Hermione Granger as a fork got to a fan! She's bothering me a lot, but her acting have improved greatly, especially from GOF where she was just annoying.

The Apparation-scenes with the Death Eaters plays out nicely on the screen as a bit of action, but what is up with that black smoke? When Dumbledore Apparates you just see him disappear, or see them get squished, which is great. When the twins Apparated in OotP they also just was there, then they wasn't. (or the other way around.) Why do the Death Eaters have all these special effects?

Tom Felton plays Draco good, even though he's just a minor character in the movie. When he rambled on about Hogwarts going to the dogs I wanted him to say he was transferring to Pigfarts so much and broke out in laughter, making the guy next to me give me a strange look.

Rupert is also very good, even though he have limited screentime. Lavender makes me crack up, which is just the intention. The "fault" about these two in the movie are that they bring out too much concerning Ron and Hermione, the movie fails greatly on subtility. I kinda wanted it to be like "eh, maybe she likes him, maybe he likes her, but maybe not, we'll have to see, but I think they like each other." (Well, that was a stupid phrasing.)

Slughorn: when I first saw pictures of Broadbent playing him, I said there was no way that could work for me, and it didn't. Broadbent strikes me more as a Quirrel-type of guy, not loud and jovial Slughorn.

Bellatrix was just as insane as she should be, but Nacissa disappointed me. She's supposed to be Lucius' wife, not his senile aunt, right? And the lowlights looks plain out stupid.

Both little Tom Riddle and young Tom Riddle were played perfectly, they made my skin crawl in a wonderful way!

Tonks and Lupin were hardly there, so not much to say except I want more. Why did Luna have to be the one to find Harry on the train? It worked out okay, I guess, but I was looking forward to a bit of Tonks. Mr. Weasley looke braindamaged when he sat in the chair and listened to Remus, right? But, the one line Remus had was more or less directly from the book, even if the scene was cut down to a minimum.

All in all they have focused too much on the romance if you ask me, the climax of the movie seemed to be when Ginny and Harry kissed, which is strange on so many levels I can't even put it into words. What happened to the kiss in the common room after the Quidditch-victory? Oh, right, they cut out all Quidditch that hadn't got anything to do with Hermione wanting to snog Ron...

The death of Dumbledore was at least as anti-climatic as possible! He fell, then everyone lighted their wands, even Madam Pomfrey was there, but no one who should be there according ot the book! And I didn't see the point in bringing in Death Eaters if Draco was supposed to kill Dumbledore, Snape already was there and there was no frickin' fight! I want a fight! I want Bill's face slashed open! I want Remus and Tonks to have a quarrel! I want McGonagall to freak out over that it was Snape who killed their headmaster! I want Fawkes to sing! I want Dumbledore's funeral! AAAH!

The scene after was even worse, if you ask me, Rupert had apparently gone mute.

And why it was called "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" was explained in a single, off-hand comment by Snape and gave the title zero meaning. Hello? Not like that's important, no, just would explain why Snape haven't given Harry to Voldemort yet. But Rickman preforms great as always, at least.

But all in all I enjoyed watching it, even if it was just a bad summary of the book.

No comments: